Down to Earth Sauvignon Blanc 2020: “one of our better savvies”


Down to Earth Sauvignon Blanc 2020 – Ken Gargett

“Those who know me well know that if given the option, sauvignon blanc would not be my first choice if looking for a bottle to drink for pleasure. Fortunately, a decent one comes along every now and again, and while it may not restore the faith, it does offer a light at the end of the tunnel. This is one such wine.  The wine is made with fruit sourced from the close-spaced Crayeres Vineyard in Wrattonbully, planted in 2004 and located at the top of a north-south limestone ridge with terra rossa topsoil. The high density is 4,444 vines/hectare. 39% of the fruit was whole bunch pressed and fermented in large oak foudres and demi-muids. The remaining 61% cold fermented in stainless steel. No malolactic fermentation and a light filtration. Attractively packaged. This is fresh and aromatic with a soapy lemon note (which I genuinely mean in a positive way). Much more complexity here than is found in the vast majority of offerings from this variety. Some very pleasant tropical and citrus notes, lemongrass and pineapples. Soft texture and impressive length. This is definitely one of our better savvies.” 90 points – 2021-2025

Latest Reviews